Making a light up witches house with Kat!



I have seen a lot of wonderful tutorials on You Tube on making little fairy houses out of plastic drinks bottles and air dry clay and I keep meaning to have a go and finally I got round to It!
The best online tutorials I have seen are done by a YouTube vlogger called Creative Mom. It was her videos that inspired me to have a go. Please visit her tutorials as they are very informative, easy to follow and fabulous.
If you have problems with link copy and paste onto Google search or look for Creative Mom on YouTube.

This project is so much fun to do I highly recommend giving it a go! 
It would a great School holiday project for your children, grandchildren or just a lovely project to do yourself on a rainy day! 

Making a bottle house with Kat(me)

First of all I gathered some supplies to create the basis of my house, in my case some water bottles which I cut down to a size I preferred and cardboard witches hat which had been lurking in my craft cupboard for a decade! I cut the witches hat in two, using the conical crown for a pointed roof and the brim for the Base of my house.


I then glued the cardboard pieces and bottles together with a hot glue gun making sure I had access underneath so I could add some fairy lights later.



To give my other roof I used kitchen foil which I glued on with my hot glue gun in a mushroom style shape. I also added some foil sausage shapes to make a larger window and door Way. For a chimney I used the tube from the used up kitchen foil which I cut at an angle and glued on again using my glue gun.
I then started covering my bottle house in air dry clay. I used Das white to start with.


The smaller windows where made by just using a tool to remove the clay. The more windows you add in the more your fairy lights will show through. Plus it adds more character. You can of course exclude lighting altogether in which case I recommend leaving the back clay free or add bigger windows at the back to let in the sunlight.


I ran out of white clay so I used some brown air dry clay.


Once I had covered the whole house in clay I added some details with sculpting tools.
Then I left it to dry for two days.


After it had dried thoroughly I painted the whole house in a base coat of colour. I used children's acrylic paints I bought in Hobbycraft. I mixed several colours together to make this rather funky purple colour!


Then the fun bit, I used an assortment of acrylic paints to create a really colourful fairyland house. This photo shows the back of the bottle house showing doors and more windows.
Once dry I added some battery operated fairy lights using the entrance under the bottle house. I just popped them in and then added a bit of cardboard and tape to stop them falling out. I kept it really simple so I can then easierly remove the battery operared lights at a later date if I want too. Remember don't use real candles if you used plastic bottles!


My finished house with lights on, I am really pleased how my first attempted turned out.


Lights on someone must be in!


Well it didn't take long before some little Witches decided to move in!

Little Witches where made by friend Jenny Kelm of Kastle Kelm Miniatures. Please visit their website.
http://kastlekelm.wixsite.com/kastlekelm

Well I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and it will encourage you to have a go yourself. You can use any clean plastic bottle, glass bottle or jars and the possibility of ideas are endless. You can create Lord of the Ring style towers, mushroom shaped Gnome homes, pixie houses, fairy homes etc, etc.
Just have Fun!
Coming soon how to make a mini broom.....

Popular Posts