Witchy Wednesday! Witches brooms 🧹

 



Woodcut image depicting witches and the devil on brooms. 

🧹 Witchy Wednesday, Witches brooms and Besoms! 🧹


I am currently sorting out a brand new Broom Tutorial which I will be posting here very soon. So I thought this Witchy Wednesday should celebrate the Witches Broom or Besom as it is sometimes called.


I am in fact decended from early 19th century Buckinghamshire broommakers, on my mothers side, which was something I only found out a couple of years ago whilst researching my family tree. Made me chuckle as I had been making miniatures brooms for over 15 years and had no idea of my past craft heritage! We also have lace makers, chair makers, and chair caners which is something my Mum did for a living in her 20's and 30's! Again another link to the past. I hope to find more about my broom making family when I get back into researching my family tree in the Autumn and winter months. Good excuse for spending wet cold afternoons tucked up in my warm kitchen with a hot mug of hot chocolate. 



Some of my handmade miniature Witches brooms I made in 2021 using raffia instead of modern broom bristles. 

Please visit the link below for my broom making tutorial. 

https://witchkraftingwithkat.blogspot.com/2021/10/making-ornamental-witches-broom

One of my homemade cards depiction a rather sassy young Witch and her new broom!


Witches and brooms are a big influence in my crafting. 


Woodcut image of Witches flying up the chimney on their brooms! 
 

It's not just old Witches that have brooms they are also depicted in fairytales such as in 'The old Woman in a Basket' from Reading and Literature First Reader 1911. 



History.com has a fabulous article on the history of witches brooms. Please visit this link. 

https://www.history.com/news/why-witches-fly-on-brooms

Another interesting article on Witches Brooms including a tutorial 

https://www.mabonhouse.co/new-blog/a-guide-to-besoms-the-history-of-the-witchs-broom

A more Adult article on Witches and brooms. Really interested but not appropriate for younger readers. 

https://www.ancient-origins.net/history-ancient-traditions/witches-broomstick-0016883

A fabulous video by Harry Rogers of a broom making competition showing traditional British craftsmanship. 



🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿

Some folklore stories and articles about History can be quite scary and disturbing and may have some adult content. So I would always advise visiting, reading and viewing any links before showing or reading to younger children.


🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿

Popular Posts