The Magical World of Gnomes Tutorial.

The Magical world of Gnomes!
πŸŒΏπŸ„πŸŒΏπŸ„πŸŒΏπŸ„πŸŒΏπŸ„πŸŒΏπŸ„πŸŒΏπŸ„πŸŒΏπŸ„



Gathering together my chosen MDF shapes from Calico Craft Parts.

Please visit their website for a huge selection of MDF shapes and kits. 

https://www.calicocraftparts.co.uk/

For this project you will need MDF shapes

A back board, flat bauble, artist canvas or some suitable for a background. 

Assortment of acrylic paints. I used Deco Art Neon Acrylic paints which glow under black light and Culture Hustle blackest black. 

Paint brushes

Glue, uhu, super glue or woodglue. 

Nuvo drops or similar

White Posca pen or similar

Tim Holtz Distress Glow Grit paste, or similar mixed media sculpting pastes

Strings or ribbon to hand your finished ornament. 


I am loving this little Gnome Guy is so detailed and very cute! 

Firstly I hand painted my gnome with Deco Art Acrylic Neon paints, these are naturally a bright florescent colour and under a black light torch will glow in the dark. To make my gnome a little less 1980's Neon and more natural woodland in the day light I added some water to the paints which helped to subdue the colours a little. 

I then coloured in his beard and added highlights with a white Posca pen.


Making the background scene.

I used a Giant MDF Bauble which I painted with Black 3.0 - the world's blackest black acrylic paint from Culture Hustle which covers the MDF beautifully and gives it a really deep dark sky. 

Please visit Culture Hustle website for information on their range of paints and philosophy. 

https://culturehustle.com/

Once the black background was dry I stippled over the bottom half of the bauble a mixture of neon green, pink, and blue to represent grasses and wild flowers.



I then added textures to my MDF mushrooms and moon using a mixture of Tim Holtz Distress Glow Grit Paste, Galleria sculpting pastes and nuvo drops. Once dried I painted them all with several layers of neon paints. 

I used a white Posca pen to add stars in the night sky. 

I also painted Mrs Gnome, again adding highlights using a white Posca pen. 



I then starting gluing my scene together. Adding texture paste to create more texture and details. 


To add details to my tree I used nuvo drops. I just drew on lines straight into the MDF tree to give the impression of bark. I then left it to dry over night. 




Once dried I painted the tree with basic brown acrylic again leaving to thoroughly dry.  I then stippled over some neon green and yellow neon paint to add a little mossy glow. 
I also glued on Mrs and Mrs Gnome


I then added more toadstools and sculpting paste which I painted with a mixture of neon green and yellow.


I decided my scene could do with some birds so I added a couple of crows. These were painted with black paints with an edging of neon paint. 
Then to finish off I added some magical bubbles which were achieved by using glow in the dark pink Nuvo drops. 

I then added pretty threads to hang my ornament up with. 



The finished scene. 


The magic under black light torch! πŸ”¦



I hope you enjoyed this 'Kat Make' and it inspires you to have a go at making your own mixed media project.
If you have any questions please contact me via my Instagram page


I will be back here again for Witchy Wednesday and I hope to do more tutorials soon........
Happy crafting, Kat x

Popular Posts