Witchy Wednesday 'Werewolves' article.

 

Werewolves in history 

In European folklore, a man who turns into a wolf at night and devours animals, people, or corpses but returns to human form by day. Some werewolves change shape at will; others, in whom the condition is hereditary or acquired by having been bitten by a werewolf, change shape involuntarily, under the influence of a full moon. If he is wounded in wolf form, the wounds will show in his human form and may lead to his detection. Belief in werewolves is found throughout the world. The psychiatric condition in which a person believes he is a wolf is called lycanthropy.



In countries in which wolves are not common, the monster may assume the form of another dangerous animal, such as the bear, tiger, or hyena. In French folklore, the werewolf is called loup-garou. France was particularly afflicted with reports of them in the 16th century, and there were many notable convictions and executions of loups-garous. As a subject for 20th-century horror films, the werewolf tradition is second only to the vampire tradition in popularity. Werewolves are believed to turn into vampires after death.

Information from

Handmade card, made by me, of a traditional movie style Werewolf howling at the full moon!
๐ŸŒ•๐Ÿบ๐ŸŒ•๐Ÿบ๐ŸŒ•๐Ÿบ๐ŸŒ•๐Ÿบ๐ŸŒ•๐Ÿบ๐ŸŒ•๐Ÿบ๐ŸŒ•๐Ÿบ

The Beast of Gรฉvaudan

Between 1765 and 1767, an unknown creature killed over 100 people in a rural region of France—and captivated a horrified world.

Between 1764 and 1767 a mysterious creature called the Beast ravaged the rural region of Gรฉvaudan, France. About 100 men, women and children reportedly fell victim to La Bรชte du Gรฉvaudan. While many French at the time presumed the Beast to be a wolf and many modern scholars agree, some have suggested that the Beast may not have been a wolf at all.

For further reading pleass visit.

https://www.history.com/news/beast-gevaudan-france-theories

Images of Werewolves and Wolves in stories and folklore

The images I have posted below are listed as domain free but as with all images I would only recommend using them for personal use. If you are considering using images for financial reasons I would recommend investing them further for copyright ©️.


















I hope you enjoyed this weeks Witchy Wednesday article. 

Please join me again next week for more folklore tales, interesting links and imagery.

๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒธ

Please note I do not get paid to mention any links. The study of folklore is a hobby of mine and when I find interesting information I like to share it here in my blog which is my electronic scrapbook. 

I am not a professional writer or an expert but I hope you enjoy my natterings and my blog inspires you to explore and learn more about folklore.  

Some website links listed may contain Adult material which may not be suitable for children so I would advise visiting them before showing or allowing access to younger viewers.

๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒฟ

Popular Posts