Bats! A Witchy Wednesdays article.

1884 print. 

Welcome to another Witchy Wednesday, this week is the start of things which I associated with Halloween and this week its about Bats! 

Having just celebrated Batman day (19th September) I have always been a fan of the comic book turned TV and film character Batman, my mind turned to my love of all things Bat related! 


Me & the Batmobile screen used car from Robert Pattinson's 
 The Batman 


My love of bats covers many spectrum of interests from real life conservation of bats living in my local area, art, and literature especially Bram Stokers Dracula, his ability to shape shift into a bat always intrigued me. My first Gothic necklace was a bat purchased from Whitby which features in the original story of Dracula! 
Nothing gets me more excited to empty my purse than a winter jumper covered in bats or a bat mug! Lol!

Anyway it's not just people like myself who are 'bat crazy' Victorian culture was totally obsession with bats! The theme of bats can be found in illustrations, paintings, sculptures, they feature in literature, in jewellery design, Victorian costumemery and also into studies into natural history including sadly taxidermy. 

 The Bat Gallery! 
        πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡

Below is a collection of fabulous images ranging from the Victorian era to the 1960's for you to enjoy. These have been sourced from various places including online libraries. I tried to source real images that are copyright free/domain free but as a precaution I recommend if you save them to use them for personal use.

Maybe the Victorian Batman! 
Actor dress most likey as the Devil for a play.


A Victorian Actor dressed more likely as the devil but there is something very Bat about him. 


The Political Vampire" from Harper's Weekly, April 4, 1885
Artist Thomas Nast (American, born Germany, 1840-1902)



Dudley Hardy (1867-1922), ‘London Night By Night’,




Various Wildlife art featuring bats.












Unknown though it could be a book illustration from the 1950's or 60's.
I will update if I find any further info. 




Stunning Victorian bat costumes.











Victorian Halloween postcard. 


Illustration by British artist Henry Courtney Selous of Shakespeare’s The Tempest, where the Spirit Ariel sings about flying on a bat’s back
(published ca. 1864–68).











Victorian ladies Bat costume. 



A little jump to the 1940's and 50's with illustration by Boris Dolgov in Weird Tales magazine. In my view heavily influenced by Victorian Gothic horror. 


Bats Flying Artist Jessie Hall From The Book Nursery Songs 1893 Public Domain


Victorian postcard. 

 

πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡
When I used to attend Whitby Goth Weekend I always used love visiting The Bat Conservation trust stall. A very worthy charity who are the leading non-governmental organisation in the United Kingdom solely devoted to the conservation of bats and the landscapes on which they rely. Please visit their website to help and make donations. 
πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡πŸ¦‡ 


Thank you for visiting my blog. Please pop by again next week for another Witchy Wednesday article. 
Kat πŸ™‚
🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸🌿🌸

Popular posts from this blog

Making a spirit doll part one

Making a spirit doll part two.

Wonderful resource of information!