Witchy Wednesday's are back!

Witchy Wednesday's are back!

πŸŒΏπŸŒΈπŸ‚πŸŒΏπŸŒΈπŸ‚πŸŒΏπŸŒΈπŸ‚πŸŒΏπŸŒΈπŸ‚πŸŒΏ



Water Nymph from the Goldfish Pond by Franz Hein.



Well I had a lovely Summer break though for me it was a bit too warm and way too dry. I am quite a hobbit at heart and in my Shire I prefer things to be a little more traditionally English with variable weather. So the last few days since we have had a few rain showers I have felt more myself and indeed my garden has breathed a sigh of relief! 

As for WW I have been working on some new folklore stories and interesting facts and non facts to share with you over the coming months. It will probably take me a few weeks to get back into the swing of things. So today to gentle ease us all back in I am sharing some information on a plant I came across on my local ramblings. 


🌿Water Mint🌿

Water Mint growing out a body of water. 


I spotted this lovely plant with its purple bobbles on a local walk at the weekend. Excuse the quality of the photo but it was just peeping through the lower slats of wood on a rather busy wooden bridge. As I use a mobility scooter to get myself about ( my Katmobile) I had a do a bit of a drive by photo! πŸ˜† 


🌿The Folklore of Water Mint, Mentha Aquatica.🌿

The Latin name for mint, menthe, is said to have dated back to Greek mythology. 

Minthe, *a water nymph, is said to have had an affair with Hades, the god of the underworld. Persephone, Hade’s wife, angered by this betrayal turns the nymph into a low growing plant to be trampled on by all who step on it. Hades couldn’t undo the curse but modified it so that the plant would release a fragrant minty scent in her remembrance. 

*A water nymph in Greek mythology is a female nature spirit or goddess that guards a body of water

Source of Information from herb society of America. 

Minthe being turned into a Mint-Plant by Johann Krauss, Creator: Johann Ulrich Kraus (1655-1719) (creator); Date: 1694; Material: engraving

Nymph by Blanche Paymal-Amouroux
(French, 19th Century) 


Interesting vlog I found on YouTube by 2-Minute Mythology.
Please visit and like. 
https://youtube.com/@2minutemythology





Hylas and the Nymphs – John William Waterhouse


In the middle ages water mint leaves were often scattered across floors of wealthy halls and castles to alleviate nasty smells. As the wealthy walked across the leaves crushed releasing a clean fresh smell. 

A similar thing was done right across Europe in poorer homes. The hanging of mint was popular. Hung by doorframes to help freshen the air, to welcome in guests into the home and invite prosperity. 

Some folklore suggests that carrying mint leaves or placing them under your pillow would bring good fortune and safe travels.




Botanical information 

https://www.jeremybartlett.co.uk/2019/08/26/water-mint-mentha-aquatica/

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/75995/mentha-aquatica/details

https://bsbi.org/taxa/2cd4p9h.xq4/mentha-aquatica


Thank you for visiting my blog please join me again next Wednesday for another Witchy Wednesday article.

Kat 😊

πŸŒΏπŸŒΈπŸ‚πŸŒΏπŸŒΈπŸ‚πŸŒΏπŸŒΈπŸ‚πŸŒΏπŸŒΈπŸ‚πŸŒΏπŸŒΈπŸ‚πŸŒΏπŸŒΈπŸ‚πŸŒΏπŸŒΈ

Popular posts from this blog

Making a spirit doll part one

Making a spirit doll part two.

Wonderful resource of information!